Modding with Prefabs/Binfabs
July 5, 2017 by SkyTheVirus 2,171 3
If you're looking to mod an ally/mount rig that isn't available through normal means, try using prefabs!
We all know some of the hidden stuff that Trion wants to hide in the files, especially unique rigs for allies and mounts. What if I told you there is a way to still test out and mod these file? Yes, there is! Thanks to SkyRider3217, she figured out how to use prefabs to replace hidden files into entities that you can see in-game. It's pretty easy to do!
Before you start, an important reminder that these only work on the following collections:
- Mag Riders
- Quest Givers (Outpost NPC and Heroes from the Rally of Heroes)
- Merchants (Luxion, Saltwater Sam, the Treasure Isles Merchant, etc.)
- Tutorial NPCs (Toadstrom, Daughter of the Moon, and a few random critters)
Step 1: Extracting the file
Once you have that, go to the corresponding folder (pet=ally or mount) to find the file you want to mod. For this example, I'm using Quarble for this tutorial.
There should be two files for allies (a regular file + NPC file) and one file for mounts.
Copy those files and place them in a separate folder for your mod. (better to keep it in a prefab folder)
Step 2: File Replacement
Now what you need to do is rename the Quarble Binfab into the Qubesly Binfab. (both the regular file and the NPC file. For mounts, it's just one file)
Once you renamed the file, place it in the override folder in the pet/mount folder:
If there isn't an override folder, make one!
Now, you can mod the new rig that you just replaced. Just be sure to mod that new rig instead of the model that you replaced on top of. (mod the Quarble, not Qubesly)
Also when you replace the ally/mount, look for where the original ally/mount was located, cause it does get renamed. (might not work when you search)
A quick reminder
What this does, it changes the ally/mount you want to replace into a new entity that you "modded" in. This will NOT affect stats, only the visual components. Here are some things to keep in mind when using Prefabs/Binfabs:
- This technique is a bit buggy and sometimes the ally will revert back to its original state at certain points. It does get fixed if you change worlds or re-equipping the mod.
- Once the ally/mount is released into the game or obtainable in-game, you will see duplicates. This is if you are using rigs that you can't obtain on your own in-game (like packs and promo items)
- For mounts try to replace flying mounts with another flying mount and vice versa. (ex1. like F4-S.T. Prototype Rocket into War Plane) Any unique abilities that mounts have do not transfer with prefabs (ex2. You can't change an Adult Dragon into a Legendary Dragon for its fireballs). What will happen, if you replace a regular mount into a flying mount, it doesn't properly fly. To any avail, mounts cannot be replaced into Ganda, the Sky Shepherd.
Contribute to the discussion or help improve an article by leaving a comment below.
You must be logged in to add a comment.